If you want to get that level-five drywall finish, you’re going to want to use a skimming blade. Due to the ease of use, and the flawless results, skimming blades are a must-have tool for all drywall finishers regardless of project size. With a skimming blade, you can expect to skim coat your walls with lightning fast speed, and get an impressively smooth finish.
When should I be adding a skim coat?
- Installing new drywall – First and foremost, if you’re installing new drywall, skim coating ensures a uniform surface for priming or painting, and should always be done.
- Fixing damage from wallpaper – If you are removing wallpaper, there will often be damaged drywall behind it. Adding a skim coat will easily repair the damage
- Retexturing after a drywall repair – After a repair, a skim coat is often used to prep the wall for paint or texture.
- Restoring or touching up old or damaged walls – a skim coat is a great way to restore the like-new appearance of walls without completely replacing them.
Which size Skimming blade should I Get?
Skimming blades come in a range of sizes. The size of skimming blade that you need will depend on what you are looking to use it for, the or the size of space/project, etc.
7’ & 10’
Perfect for projects when you’re working in smaller areas, corners, etc.
16’, 24’ & 32’
These sizes are best for working with butt joints. With these skimming blades you can replace the need for your knife/trowel.
40’ & 48’
Best for covering big areas, covering a textured ceiling, repairing a damaged wall, or applying that level-five finish.
Using the extended handle for hard to reach areas
Skimming Blade Connector for Handles is the perfect attachment so that you can get hard to reach areas with no need for platforms or stilts.
However, for the 40’ & 48’ sizes it is recommended to not use the extended handle, but to hold the skimming blade with two hands, to ensure that even pressure is applied across the larger blade.
All Level5 Skimming blades come with:
- High quality aluminum bladeback
- Precision smooth finish 0.3mm stainless steel blade to give you that perfect flex
- Built with a replaceable blade so you can easily repair a damaged blade on the spot. This tool will last you a long time!
If you're looking to get started with some skimming blades, we recommend to get a Level5 Drywall Skimming Blade set, for an all-in-one drywall skimming tool set ideal for smoothing and finishing fresh compound on walls and ceilings. The set includes:
- 10" LEVEL5 Skimming Blade
- 24" LEVEL5 Skimming Blade
- 32" LEVEL5 Skimming Blade
- LEVEL5 Skimming Blade Handle Adapter
- LEVEL5 Medium Skimming Blade Extendable Handle
Get yours today! You will not be disappointed with the time savings, and the quality.